A Vision for the Future
Lincoln Municipal Airport came into being on April 10, 1928 after Lincoln voters passed a bond issue for the development of a municipal airport. After reviewing 7 possible locations, it was decided to build the airport on 160 acres of the Tilman Flader tract located northwest of the City of Lincoln at a cost of $275 an acre.
The airport was officially dedicated June 12, 1930. In 1931, the Lincoln Flying School built a hangar at the airport and during the winter of 1932-1933, built an administrative building. In November 1940, voters of Lincoln approved a bond issue of $300,000 for expansion of the airport, and in February of 1941, made application to the WPA for approval of the Lincoln airport as part of the national defense program.